Jackknife Truck Accidents in Southlake
The weight advantage that the average semi-truck has over the average passenger vehicle makes a collision between the two devastating. When a truck jackknifes, the accident can be even more problematic. As the semi’s trailer swings out of control, it can cross multiple lanes of traffic, potentially damaging many other vehicles. Jackknifing also makes it more likely that the 18-wheeler will roll on its side.
When you suffer an injury from a semi-truck, you are likely overwhelmed. Dealing with the trucking company and its insurer while recovering from your injuries is challenging. Fortunately, our skilled attorneys have handled several cases involving jackknife truck accidents in Southlake. Our hardworking truck wreck lawyers could help you navigate the legal process and advocate to get you the compensation you deserve.
How Do Jackknife Tractor-Trailer Accidents Happen?
Jackknife truck crashes occur when the tractor, or cab, of an 18-wheeler and the trailer fold in on each other. The term “jackknife” comes from a pocketknife wherein the blade and the handle fold together when the knife is not being used. When a truck jackknifes, the trailer and cab mirror the position of a pocketknife’s blade and handle.
Jackknife truck collisions can happen for several reasons, but some of the more common reasons in Southlake include:
- Failure to properly navigate curves, turns, or changes in grade in the road
- Failure to maintain adequate stopping distances; if a truck driver needs to apply their brakes quickly for any reason, the brakes can lock up, and the trailer can lose traction with the road
- Poorly maintained roads or roads inadequately treated after bad weather
- A malfunction of the 18-wheeler’s braking system or tires
- A shift in the trailer’s weight or balance due to improperly loaded or secured cargo
The cab of a truck should move independently of a trailer, enabling the vehicle to make wide turns on narrow roads meant for passenger cars; however, when the trucker loses control of the trailer or the trailer starts moving faster than the cab, the trailer can swing wildly or even cause the entire vehicle to roll.
What Financial Damages Are Available After a Jackknife Truck Wreck?
Anyone hurt in a jackknife truck crash caused by a trucker’s negligence is entitled to compensation, or damages, for their injuries. Damages are meant to put the injured person in the same financial position they were before the accident.
While every case is different, typical damages include:
- Vehicle replacement or repair
- Lost wages for missed time at work due to injuries
- Past and future medical expenses, including ongoing rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering the injured person experienced because of the accident
An attorney in Southlake who frequently represents people injured in jackknife truck wrecks could evaluate a case and help calculate potential damages.
Call a Talented Southlake Attorney After a Jackknife Truck Accident
Recovering from traumatic injuries takes time, focus, and energy. You deserve to be able to devote your attention to those things without being stressed about finances or worried about how you will afford your medical care. An attorney could help reduce those burdens by managing your insurance claims, ensuring you receive fair compensation, and representing you in court, if necessary.
Reach out to one of our dedicated lawyers who has experience handling jackknife truck accidents in Southlake to schedule an initial consultation.